Cinema Habits in Australia
Cinema attendance has been steady or increasing over the past 5 years. However the frequency of attendance has shown a significant decline among all demographics.
Audience Profile By Age & Gender for CinemaMore Women are Cinema-goers as compared to Men esp. in the older age group. However it is the younger audience that tends to be higher in attendance.
Correspondence of Age with Genre Preference
F 25-34 prefer Action & Drama genres. Older women tend to prefer Comedy, Drama & Family genres.
Top 3 Things to Consider While Having Cinema Advertising in Media Mix
There are many factors when considering advertising in Cinema. These include:
- Overlap between trade area & cinema radius, and both in-store purchase & cinema attendance are highly localized. The exception of course is if the brand wants to promote online buying.
- Attendance as % of population has been increasing across all age groups, but the frequency of cinema attendance has declined. The ad-copy and message cannot rely on a high frequency of ad exposure to an individual. Relying on a high frequency is likely to lead to low effectiveness & ROIs.
- Short, term tactical activation campaigns, which are brand awareness focused are likely to work well
- In conjunction with Cinema advertising, consider geo-fencing, and retargeting with 24-48 hrs of a Cinema visit
- The movie genres for target audience differ significantly for W 18-25, and W 35+. Consider the frequency of movie release by genre, movie rating in other markets where the movie has released, and the relationship between the ratings of a movie in Australia & other markets to determine whether there would be a large enough reach for effective advertising.
Australian Movie Releases (in Jan 2018) by Genre (Source: IMDb)
Movie rating of 7.6 with 381K reviews on IMDb is likely to generate ~7M-10M impressions in Australia. However such movies come around only a few times a year. By evaluating the ratings and review, a potential audience size & expected frequency can be generated.